New York State has 62 counties (5 of which make up the 5 boroughs of New York City) and 31 congressional districts: 24 counties (4 of which are boroughs of New York City) are split among more than one congressional district while 38 counties (1 of which is a borough of New York City) are wholly within one congressional district.
NEW YORK CITY:
- Bronx County (=the Borough of The Bronx) is divided among CDs 7, 15, 16, 17 and 18. [CD # 16 is wholly within The Bronx]
- Kings County (=the Borough of Brooklyn) is divided among CDs 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. [CDs # 10 and #11 are wholly within Brooklyn]
- New York County (=the Borough of Manhattan: what most people- even New Yorkers themselves- refer to as "the City" or "New York City") is divided among CDs 8, 12, 14 and 15.
- Queens County (=the Borough of Queens) is divided among CDs 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 14, 15 and 18. [CD # 6 is wholly within Queens]
- Richmond County (=the Borough of Staten Island) is wholly within CD # 13.
UNDIVIDED COUNTIES (those wholly within one Congressional District) OUTSIDE OF NEW YORK CITY:
- CD # 19: Putnam
- CD # 20: Rockland
- CD # 21: Albany and Schenectady
- CD # 22: Columbia, Greene, Warren and Washington
- CD # 23: Chenango, Madison, Oneida and Otsego
- CD # 24: Clinton, Franklin, Fulton, Hamilton, Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego and St. Lawrence
- CD # 25: Cortland and Onondaga
- CD # 26: Ulster
- CD # 27: Gennessee, Livingston, Ontario, Wayne and Wyoming
- CD # 29: Niagara and Orleans
- CD # 31: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben and Yates
DIVIDED COUNTIES (those split among more than one Congressional District) OUTSIDE OF NEW YORK CITY:
- Broome: CDs 23, 25 and 26
- Cayuga: CDs 25, 27 and 31
- Delaware: CDs 23 and 26
- Dutchess: CDs 19, 22 and 26
- Erie: CDs 27, 29 and 30
- Essex: CDs 22 and 24
- Herkimer: CDs 23 and 24
- Monroe: CDs 27, 28 and 29 [CD # 28 is wholly within Monroe County]
- Montgomery: CDs 21 and 23
- Nassau: CDs 3, 4 and 5 [CDs # 3 and # 4 are wholly within Nassau County]
- Orange: CDs 19, 20 and 26
- Rensselaer: CDs 21 and 22
- Saratoga: CDs 21 and 22
- Schoharie: CDs 22 and 23
- Seneca: CDs 27 and 31
- Suffolk: CDs 1, 2 and 5 [CDs #1 and # 2 are wholly within Suffolk County]
- Sullivan: CDs 20 and 26
- Tioga: CDs 25 and 26
- Tompkins: CDs 26 and 31
- Westchester: CDs 17, 18, 19 and 20
DIVIDED COUNTIES outside those making up the City of New York:
The following listing of the Minor Civil Divisions (also known as
"County Subdivisions") included in each Congressional District of which
the so-called DIVIDED COUNTIES (outside the City of New York) are a part contains references to the Towns and the Cities only. There are two types of Municipality in New York State outside of the City of New York: the City and the Village- but, while the City is administratively and governmentally separate from any Town, the Village remains a part of its Town and, thus, is itself a further subdivision of the Town; therefore, Villages- unlike Cities and Towns- do not constitute Minor Civil Divisions/County Subdivisions of the first order in the State of New York and, thus, no Villages are noted in this listing:
- CD # 23: the Towns of Barker, Colesville and Fenton.
- CD # 25: the Towns of Lisle, Maine and Nanticoke.
- CD # 26: the Towns of Binghamton, Conklin, Dickinson, Kirkwood, Sanford, Union, Vestal and Windsor plus the City of Binghamton.
the Town of Chenango is split between CDs 23 and 26.
the Town of Triangle is split between CDs 23 and 25.
- CD # 25: the Towns of Brutus, Cato, Conquest, Ira, Mentz, Montezuma, Owasco, Sennett, Sterling, Throop and Victory.
- CD # 27: the Town of Aurelius.
- CD # 31: the Towns of Fleming, Genoa, Ledyard, Locke, Moravia, Niles, Scipio, Sempronius, Springport, Summerhill and Venice.
the City of Auburn is divided among CDs 25, 27 and 31.
- CD # 26: the Towns of Deposit, Hancock and Tompkins.
the remainder of Delaware County is in CD # 23.
- CD # 19: the Towns of Amenia, Beekman, Dover, East Fishkill, Fishkill, Pawling, Poughkeepsie, Union Vale, Wappinger and Washington plus the City of Poughkeepsie.
- CD # 22: the Towns of Clinton, Hyde Park, Milan, Northeast, Pine Plains, Pleasant Valley, Red Hook, Rhinebeck and Stanford.
- CD # 26: the City of Beacon.
the Town of La Grange is mostly in CD # 22 but a small portion lies in CD # 19.
- CD # 27: the Towns of Alden, Amherst, Clarence, Marilla, Newstead and Wales.
- CD # 29: the Towns of Grand Island and Tonawanda plus the City of Tonawanda.
- CD # 30: the Towns of Aurora, Boston, Brant, Cheektowaga, Colden, Collins, Concord, Eden, Elma, Evans, Hamburg, Holland, Lancaster, North Collins, Orchard Park, Sardinia and West Seneca plus the City of Lackawanna.
the City of Buffalo is split between CDs 29 and 30.
- CD # 22: the Towns of Crown Point, Elizabethtown, Keene, Minerva, Moriah, Newcomb, North Elba, North Hudson, St. Armand, Schroon, Ticonderoga and Wilmington.
- CD # 24: the Towns of Chesterfield, Essex, Jay, Lewis, Westport and Willsboro.
- CD # 23: the Towns of Columbia, Danube, Fairfield, Frankfort, German Flatts, Herkimer, Litchfield, Little Falls, Newport, Schuyler, Stark, Warren and Winfield plus the City of Little Falls.
- CD # 24: the Towns of Norway, Ohio, Russia, Salisbury and Webb.
the Town of Manheim is mostly in CD 23 but a small portion lies in CD 24.
- CD # 27: the Towns of Chili, Mendon, Riga, Rush and Wheatland.
- CD # 28: the Towns of Brighton, Greece, Irondequoit, Penfield, Perinton, Pittsford and Webster.
- CD # 29: the Towns of Clarkson, Gates, Hamlin, Ogden, Parma and Sweden.
the Town of Henrietta is mostly in CD 28 but a small portion lies in CD 27.
the City of Rochester is mostly in CD 28 but a small portion lies in CD 29.
- CD # 23: the Towns of Minden, Palatine and St. Johnsville.
the remainder of Montgomery County is in CD # 21.
- the Town of Hempstead is split between CD # 3 and CD # 4.
- the Town of North Hempstead is split between CD # 3 and CD # 5.
- the Town of Oyster Bay is mostly in CD # 3 but a small portion lies in CD # 5.
- the City of Glen Cove is split between CD # 3 and CD # 5.
- the City of Long Beach is in CD # 3.
- CD # 19: the Towns of Cornwall, Hamptonburgh, Highlands and New Windsor.
- CD # 26: the Town of Newburgh plus the City of Newburgh.
the remainder of Orange County is in CD # 20.
- CD # 21: the Towns of East Greenbush and North Greenbush plus the Cities of Rensselaer and Troy.
the Town of Brunswick is mostly in CD 22 but a small portion lies in CD 21.
the remainder of Rensselaer County is in CD # 22.
- CD # 21: the Town of Waterford.
the remainder of Saratoga County is in CD # 22.
- CD # 22: the Towns of Blenheim, Broome, Conesville, Esperance, Gilboa, Middleburgh, Schoharie and Wright.
- CD # 23: the Towns of Carlisle, Cobleskill, Fulton, Jefferson, Richmondville, Seward, Sharon and Summit.
- CD # 27: the Towns of Fayette, Junius, Seneca Falls, Tyre and Waterloo.
- CD # 31: the Towns of Covert, Lodi, Ovid, Romulus and Varick.
- CD # 1: the Towns of Brookhaven, East Hampton, Riverhead, Shelter Island, Southampton and Southold.
- CD # 2: the Towns of Babylon and Islip.
the Town of Huntington is split between CDs 2 and 5.
the Town of Smithtown is divided among CDs 1, 2 and 5.
- CD # 20: the Towns of Bethel, Cochecton, Forestburgh, Highland, Lumberland, Mamataking and Tusten.
- CD # 26: the Towns of Callicoon, Delaware, Fallsburg, Fremont, Liberty, Neversink and Rockland.
the Town of Thompson is mostly in CD 26 but a small portion is in CD 20.
- CD # 25: the Towns of Berkshire, Newark Valley and Richford.
the remainder of Tioga County is in CD # 26.
- CD # 26: the Towns of Caroline, Danby, Dryden, Enfield and Ithaca plus the City of Ithaca.
- CD # 31: the Towns of Groton, Lansing, Newfield and Ulysses.
- CD # 18: the Towns of Eastchester, Harrison, Mamaroneck, Rye and Scarsdale plus the City of Rye.
- CD # 19: the Towns of Bedford, Cortlandt, Lewisboro, Mount Kisco, Mount Pleasant, New Castle, North Castle, North Salem, Ossining, Pound Ridge, Somers and Yorktown plus the City of Peekskill.
- CD # 20: the Town of Greenburgh.
the Town of Pelham is split between CDs 17 and 18.
the City of Mount Vernon is split between CDs 17 and 18.
the City of New Rochelle is split between CDs 17 and 18.
the City of White Plains is split between CDs 18 and 19.
the City of Yonkers is divided among CDs 17, 18 and 20.
NEW YORK CITY:
unlike the DIVIDED COUNTIES outside of the City of New York, the 5 counties which make up the City of New York (each of which is also a Borough of that city) have no meaningful Minor Civil Divisions/County Subdivisions with which to express which part of each county/borough is in which congressional district. What follows, instead, is a listing- in numerical order- of the congressional districts which are- in whole or in part- within the City of New York followed by the Boroughs(Counties) of which a given congressional district is a part:
- CD # 6: Queens(Queens)
- CD # 7: The Bronx(Bronx) and Queens(Queens)
- CD # 8: Brooklyn(Kings) and Manhattan(New York)
- CD # 9: Brooklyn(Kings) and Queens(Queens)
- CD # 10: Brooklyn(Kings)
- CD # 11: Brooklyn(Kings)
- CD # 12: Brooklyn(Kings), Manhattan(New York) and Queens(Queens)
- CD # 13: Brooklyn(Kings) and Staten Island(Richmond)
- CD # 14: Brooklyn(Kings), Manhattan(New York) and Queens(Queens)
- CD # 15: Brooklyn(Kings), Manhattan(New York) and Queens(Queens)
- CD # 16: The Bronx(Bronx)
- CD # 17: The Bronx(Bronx)
- CD # 18: The Bronx(Bronx) and Queens(Queens)