9 May 2000: Unpledged delegate preference update: Gore 9, Bradley
0. Unpledged delegates appear in the "Soft Unpledged" field.
The Popular Vote above is based on official returns from the 9
May Primary. This Presidential Primary coincides with a state/local
primary. These coinciding primaries tend to have an impact upon voter
Here's how we compute the delegate count:
- A candidate must receive 15% or more of the total popular vote to qualify for delegates. Discard those votes cast for candidates who do not qualify.
- Allocate Congressional District delegates from the qualified vote in each district. Allocate Pledged PLEO and At-Large delegates using the statewide qualified vote. Bill Bradley, having withdrawn from the campaign, is not entitled to receive At-Large and PLEO delegates.
- In each jurisdiction:
- Total qualified vote = total votes cast for the qualifying candidates in the jurisdiction.
- Allocation = (delegates for the jurisdiction) × (candidate's popular vote) ÷ (total qualified vote).
- Assign each candidate the WHOLE NUMBER of delegates.
- If delegates remain, allocate each of the remaining delegates to those candidates with the LARGEST REMAINDERS.
|At-Large||181,946||7||181,946||100.000%||7||46,691|| || |
|PLEO||181,946||4||181,946||100.000%||4||46,691|| || |
|Delegates|| ||30|| || ||27|| || ||3|
Tuesday 9 May 2000: 30 of 42 delegates to the Democratic National
Convention are allocated to presidential contenders based on the
results of the voting in today's West Virginia Presidential Primary.
- "19 district delegates are to be allocated proportionally to
presidential contenders based on the primary results in each of the
State's 3 congressional districts. In addition, 7 at-large National
Convention delegates plus 4 Pledged PLEOs are to be allocated to
presidential contenders based on the primary vote statewide. A
mandatory 15 percent threshold is required in order for a presidential
contender to be allocated National Convention delegates at either the
congressional district or statewide level."
The remaining 12 National Convention delegates consist of 11
Unpledged PLEOs and 1 Unpledged "add-on"; these 12 delegates will go to the Democratic National Convention officially "Unpledged".
The breakdown of unpledged delegates is:
- 6 Democratic National Committee members
- 5 Members of Congress (2 Senators, 3 Representatives)
- 1 add-on
West Virginia has 55 counties and 3 congressional districts: all 55 counties are wholly within a given congressional district and no county is divided among more than one congressional district.
- CD 1: Barbour, Brooke, Doddridge, Grant, Hancock, Harrison, Marion, Marshall, Mineral, Monongalia, Ohio, Pleasants, Preston, Ritchie, Taylor, Tucker, Tyler, Wetzel and Wood.
- CD 2: Berkeley, Braxton, Calhoun, Clay, Gilmer, Hampshire, Hardy, Jackson, Jefferson, Kanawha, Lewis, Mason, Morgan, Nicholas, Pendleton, Putnam, Randolph, Roane, Upshur and Wirt.
- CD 3: Boone, Cabell, Fayette, Greenbrier, Lincoln, Logan, McDowell, Mercer, Mingo, Monroe, Pocahontas, Raleigh, Summers, Wayne, Webster and Wyoming.