The Popular Vote above is based on official returns from the 6
June Primary. This Presidential Primary coincides with a
state/local primary. These coinciding primaries tend to have an impact
upon voter turnout.
Delegates are directly elected in the New Jersey Republican Primary.
Both the delegate's name and Presidential Preference are marked on the
ballot. Here are the unofficial results in each congressional
|CD 1||3||3|| |
|CD 2||3||3|| |
|CD 3||3||3|| |
|CD 4||3||3|| |
|CD 5||3||3|| |
|CD 6||3||3|| |
|CD 7||3||3|| |
|CD 8||3||3|| |
|CD 9||3||3|| |
|CD 10||3||3|| |
|CD 11||3||3|| |
|CD 12||3||3|| |
|CD 13||3||3|| |
Tuesday 6 June 2000: all of New Jersey's 54 delegates to the
Republican National Convention will be directly elected in the New
Jersey Presidential Primary, in which delegates are listed on the
ballot as slates pledged to a presidential contender. This is a
"Loophole" type primary in which there is also a presidential
preference vote atop the ballot: a so-called "beauty contest", the
results of which have no effect on the allocation of National
- "Each of the State's 13 congressional districts is assigned 3
National Convention delegates: a total of 39 district delegates to be
directly elected by the voters and appearing on the ballot as slates of
delegates with their presidential preferences indicated. In addition,
15 at-large delegates top the slates on the ballot and are also to be
elected directly, a vote for the first name on the at-large plus
district delegate slate being a vote for the entire slate. Thus, each
voter chooses a slate of 18 National Convention delegates (the 3 from
his or her district plus the 15 at-large delegates)."
New Jersey has 21 counties and 13 congressional districts: 7 counties are wholly within a given congressional district; 14 counties are divided among more than one congressional district.
In the State of New Jersey, the General Law County Subdivision is the Township; however, there are also the following types of Municipalities: Cities, Towns, Boroughs and Villages. Under New Jersey law, Townships and Municipalities are equivalent- the Townships have the same general powers as any Municipality while Municipalities are completely separate from the Township(s) from which they were once created: therefore, all Townships and Municipalities are Minor Civil Divisions of the first order in New Jersey and, because of this, Townships are often referred to as "Municipalities" in lists of local governmental units, while Municipalities are often referred to as "Townships" (particularly in court records and other legal documents). To make matters even more confusing, the type of local governmental unit may not necessarily reflect the type of local government it actually has (e.g., there are Townships with "Town Government", etc.). To avoid any such confusion in the listing of the Congressional Districts re: the Minor Civil Divisions/local governmental units of New Jersey below, no reference will be made to the type of Municipality/Township unless there are two or more such units in a given County with the same- or a similar- name:
CD # 1:
- in BURLINGTON COUNTY- Maple Shade, Palmyra and Riverton;
- in CAMDEN COUNTY- Audubon, Audubon Park, Barrington, Bellmawr, Berlin Boro, Berlin Township, Brooklawn, Camden, Chesilhurst, Clementon, Collingswood, Gibbsboro, Gloucester City, Gloucester Township, Haddon Heights, Hi-Nella, Laurel Springs, Lawnside, Lindenwold, Magnolia, Mount Ephraim, Oaklyn, Pennsauken, Pine Hill, Pine Valley, Runnemede, Somerdale, Stratford, Tavistock, Voorhees, Winslow and Woodlynne;
- in GLOUCESTER COUNTY- Deptford, East Greenwich, Greenwich, Logan, Monroe, National park, Paulsboro, Washington, Wenonah, West Deptford, Westville, Woodbury and Woodbury Heights.
Haddon Township (CAMDEN COUNTY) is split between CDs # 1 and # 3.
Mantua Township (GLOUCESTER COUNTY) is split between CDs # 1 and # 2.
CD # 2:
- the entirety of ATLANTIC COUNTY;
- in BURLINGTON COUNTY- Washington;
- the entirety of CAPE MAY COUNTY;
- the entirety of CUMBERLAND COUNTY;
- in GLOUCESTER COUNTY- Clayton, Elk, Franklin, Glassboro, Harrison, Newfield, Pitman, South Harrison, Swedesboro and Woolwich.
CD # 3:
- in BURLINGTON COUNTY- Bass River, Beverly, Cinnaminson, Delanco, Delran, Edgewater Park, Evesham, Hainesport, Lumberton, Medford, Medford Lakes, Moorestown, Mount Holly, Mount Laurel, New Hanover, Pemberton Boro, Pemberton Township, Riverside, Shamong, Southampton, Tabernacle, Willingboro and Woodland;
- in CAMDEN COUNTY- Cherry Hill, Haddonfield, Merchantville and Waterford;
- in OCEAN COUNTY- Barnegat, Barnegat Light, Beach Haven, Beachwood, Berkeley, part of Dover Township, Eagleswood, Harvey Cedars, Island Heights, Lacey, Lavallette, Little Egg Harbor, Long Beach, Ocean, Ocean Gate, Pine Beach, Seaside Heights, Seaside Park, Ship Bottom, South Toms River, Stafford, Surf City and Tuckerton.
Dover Township (OCEAN COUNTY) is split between CDs # 3 and # 4.
Wrightstown Boro (BURLINGTON COUNTY) is split between CDs # 3 and # 4.
CD # 4:
- in BURLINGTON COUNTY- City of Bordentown, Bordentown Township, City of Burlington, Burlington Township, Chesterfield, Eastampton, Fieldsboro, Florence, Mansfield, North Hanover, Springfield and Westampton;
- in MERCER COUNTY- East Windsor, Hamilton, Hightstown, Trenton and Washington;
- in MONMOUTH COUNTY- Allentown, Brielle, Farmingdale, Howell, Manasquan, Millstone, Roosevelt, Upper Freehold and Wall;
- in OCEAN COUNTY- Bay Head, Brick, Jackson, Lakehurst, Lakewood, Manchester, Mantoloking, Plumsted, Point Pleasant and Point Pleasant Beach.
Spring Lake Heights Boro (MONMOUTH COUNTY) is split between CDs # 4 and # 6.
CD # 5:
- in BERGEN COUNTY- Allendale, Alpine, Bergenfield, Closter, Cresskill, Demarest, Dumont, Emerson, Franklin Lakes, Glen Rock, Harrington Park, Haworth, Hillsdale, HoHoKus, Mahwah, Midland Park, Montvale, Northvale, Norwood, Oakland, Old Tappan, Oradell, Paramus, Park Ridge, Ramsey, Ridgewood, River Vale, Rochelle Park, Rockleigh, Saddle River, Tenafly, Upper Saddle River, Waldwick, Washington, Westwood, Woodcliff Lake and Wyckoff;
- in PASSAIC COUNTY- Hawthorne, Ringwood, Wanaque and West Milford;
- in SUSSEX COUNTY- Andover Boro, Andover Township, Branchville, Frankford, Franklin, Fredon, Green, Hamburg, Hampton, Hardyston, Lafayette, Montague, Newton, Sandyston, Stillwater, Sussex, Vernon, Walpack and Wantage;
- the entirety of WARREN COUNTY.
Fair Lawn Boro (BERGEN COUNTY) is split between CDs # 5 and # 9.
North Haledon Boro (PASSAIC COUNTY) is split between CDs # 5 and # 8.
CD # 6:
- in MIDDLESEX COUNTY- Dunellen, a porton of Edison Township, Highland Park, Metuchen, Milltown, New Brunswick, North Brunswick, Old Bridge, Piscataway, Sayreville, South Amboy, South River and Spotswood;
- in MONMOUTH COUNTY- Aberdeen, Allenhurst, Asbury Park, Atlantic Highlands, Avon-by-the-Sea, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Deal, Hazlet, Highlands, Keansburg, Keyport, Loch Arbour, Long Branch, Matawan, Monmouth Beach, Neptune Township, Neptune City, Red Bank, Sea Bright, Sea Girt, South Belmar, Spring Lake and Union Beach.
Edison Township (MIDDLESEX COUNTY) is split between CDs # 6 and # 7.
Middletown Township (MONMOUTH COUNTY) is split between CDs # 6 and # 12.
CD # 7:
- in MIDDLESEX COUNTY- Middlesex and South Plainfield;
- in SOMERSET COUNTY- Bound Brook, Franklin, Green Brook, Hillsborough, Manville, Millstone, North Plainfield, South Bound Brook, Warren and Watchung.
- in UNION COUNTY- Berkeley Heights, Clark, Cranford, Fanwood, Garwood, Kenilworth, Mountainside, New Providence, Plainfield, Roselle Park, Scotch Plains, Springfield, Summit, Westfield and Winfield.
Maplewood Township (ESSEX COUNTY) is split between CDs # 7, # 8 and # 10.
Millburn Township (ESSEX COUNTY) is split between CDs # 7 and # 11.
Woodbridge Township (MIDDLESEX COUNTY) is split between CDs # 7 and # 13.
Bridgewater Township (SOMERSET COUNTY) is split between CDs # 7 and # 11.
the City of Linden (UNION COUNTY) is split between CDs # 7, # 10 and # 13.
Union Township (UNION COUNTY) is split between CDs # 7 and # 10.
CD # 8:
- in ESSEX COUNTY- Belleville, Bloomfield, Cedar Grove, Glen Ridge, Nutley and Verona;
- in PASSAIC COUNTY- Clifton, Haledon, Little Falls, Passaic, Paterson, Pompton Lakes, Prospect Park, Totowa, Wayne and West Paterson.
Montclair Town-Township (ESSEX COUNTY) is split between CDs # 8 and # 10.
South Orange Village-Township (ESSEX COUNTY) is split between CDs # 8 and # 10.
West Orange Town-Township (ESSEX COUNTY) is split between CDs # 8 and # 10.
CD # 9:
- in BERGEN COUNTY- Bogota, Carlstadt, Cliffside Park, East Rutherford, Edgewater, Elmwood Park, Englewood, Englewood Cliffs, Fairview, Fort Lee, Garfield, Hackensack, Hasbrouck Heights, Leonia, Little Ferry, Lodi, Lyndhurst, Maywood, Moonachie, New Milford, North Arlington, Palisades Park, Ridgefield, Ridgefield Park, River Edge, Rutherford, Saddle Brook, South Hackensack, Teaneck, Teterboro, Wallington and Wood-Ridge;
- in HUDSON COUNTY- Secaucus.
the City of Jersey City (HUDSON COUNTY) is split between CDs # 9, # 10 and # 13.
the Town of Kearny (HUDSON COUNTY) is split between CDs # 9 and # 13.
North Bergen Township (HUDSON COUNTY) is split between CDs # 9 and # 13.
CD # 10:
- in ESSEX COUNTY- East Orange, Irvington and Orange;
- in UNION COUNTY- Hillside, Rahway and Roselle.
the City of Newark (ESSEX COUNTY) is split between CDs # 10 and # 13.
the City of Bayonne (HUDSON COUNTY) is split between CDs # 10 and # 13.
the City of Elizabeth (UNION COUNTY) is split between CDs # 10 and # 13.
CD # 11:
- in ESSEX COUNTY- Caldwell, Essex Fells, Fairfield, Livingston, North Caldwell, Roseland and West Caldwell;
- the entirety of MORRIS COUNTY;
- in PASSAIC COUNTY- Bloomingdale;
- in SOMERSET COUNTY- Bernards, Raritan and Somerville;
- in SUSSEX COUNTY- Byram, Hopatcong, Ogdensburg, Sparta and Stanhope.
CD # 12:
- the entirety of HUNTERDON COUNTY;
- in MERCER COUNTY- Ewing, Hopewell Boro, Hopewell Township, Lawrence, Pennington, Princeton Boro, Princeton Township and West Windsor;
- in MIDDLESEX COUNTY- Cranbury, East Brunswick, Helmetta, Jamesburg, Monroe, Plainsboro and South Brunswick;
- in MONMOUTH COUNTY- Colts Neck, Eatontown, Englishtown, Fair Haven, Freehold Boro, Freehold Township, Holmdel, Interlaken, Little Silver, Manalapan, Marlboro, Ocean, Oceanport, Rumson, Shrewsbury Boro, Shrewsbury Township, Tinton Falls and West Long Branch;
- in SOMERSET COUNTY- Bedminster, Bernardsville, Branchburg, Far Hills, Montgomery, Peapack-Gladstone and Rocky Hill.
CD # 13:
- in HUDSON COUNTY- East Newark, Guttenberg, Harrison, Hoboken, Union City, Weehawken and West New York;
- in MIDDLESEX COUNTY- Carteret and Perth Amboy.