The Popular Vote above is based on official returns from the 6
June Primary. This Presidential Primary coincides with a
state/local primary. These coinciding primaries tend to have an impact
upon voter turnout.
Gore is the only candidate to receive 15% of the vote. He will
receive the 68 district, 23 at-large, and 14 pledged PLEO delegates.
6 June 2000: Unpledged delegate preference update: Gore 17. Unpledged delegates appear in the "Soft Unpledged" column.
Here's how we compute the delegate count:
- A candidate must receive 15% or more of the total popular vote to qualify for delegates. Discard those votes cast for candidates who do not qualify.
- Allocate Delegate District delegates from the qualified vote in each district. Allocate Pledged PLEO and At-Large delegates using the statewide qualified vote.
- In each jurisdiction:
- Total qualified vote = total votes cast for the qualifying candidates in the jurisdiction.
- Allocation = (delegates for the jurisdiction) × (candidate's popular vote) ÷ (total qualified vote).
- Assign each candidate the WHOLE NUMBER of delegates.
- If delegates remain, allocate each of the remaining delegates to those candidates with the LARGEST REMAINDERS.
Tuesday 6 June 2000: 105 of 124 delegates to the Democratic National
Convention are allocated to presidential contenders based on the
results of the voting in today's New Jersey Presidential Primary.
- "68 district delegates are to be allocated proportionally to
presidential contenders based on the primary results in each of 20
"delegate districts" [each "delegate district" to consist of 2 of the
State's 40 legislative districts paired together]. In addition, 23
at-large National Convention delegates plus 14 Pledged PLEOs are to be allocated to presidential
contenders based on the primary vote statewide. A mandatory 15 percent
threshold is required in order for a presidential contender to be
allocated National Convention delegates at either the delegate
district or statewide level."
The remaining 19 National Convention delegates consist of 17
Unpledged PLEOs and 2 Unpledged "add-on"s; these 19 delegates will go to the Democratic National Convention officially "Unpledged".
The breakdown of unpledged delegates is:
- 8 Democratic National Committee members
- 9 Members of Congress (2 Senators, 7 Representatives)
- 2 add-ons
Unlike the Democratic Parties in most states, New Jersey's Democrats
will NOT be allocating the state's district delegates to the Democratic
National Convention by congressional district but, instead, will utilize
20 special "delegate districts", each of which will consist of two
Legislative Districts paired together. (New Jersey elects its State
Legislature by Legislative District shared by both the Senate [the upper
house] and the General Assembly [the lower house]: each of the state's
40 Legislative Districts elects 1 of the 40 state senators and 2 of the
80 state assemblymen)... the number of district delegates to the Democratic
National Convention per "delegate district" is as follows:
[DD= "delegate district"]
[LD= Legislative District]
- DD 1 (LDs 1&2): 3 delegates
- DD 2 (LDs 3&4): 4 delegates
- DD 3 (LDs 5&6): 4 delegates
- DD 4 (LDs 7&8): 4 delegates
- DD 5 (LDs 9&30): 3 delegates
- DD 6 (LDs 10&11): 3 delegates
- DD 7 (LDs 12&13): 3 delegates
- DD 8 (LDs 14&15): 4 delegates
- DD 9 (LDs 16&23): 3 delegates
- DD 10 (LDs 17&18): 3 delegates
- DD 11 (LDs 19&20): 4 delegates
- DD 12 (LDs 21&22): 3 delegates
- DD 13 (LDs 24&25): 3 delegates
- DD 14 (LDs 26&27): 4 delegates
- DD 15 (LDs 28&29): 4 delegates
- DD 16 (LDs 31&33): 4 delegates
- DD 17 (LDs 32&36): 3 delegates
- DD 18 (LDs 34&35): 3 delegates
- DD 19 (LDs 37&38): 3 delegates
- DD 20 (LDs 39&40): 3 delegates
total: 68 district delegates among 20 "delegate districts"
In the State of New Jersey, the General Law County Subdivision is the Township; however, there are also the following types of Municipalities: Cities, Towns, Boroughs and Villages. Under New Jersey law, Townships and Municipalities are equivalent- the Townships have the same general powers as any Municipality while Municipalities are completely separate from the Township(s) from which they were once created: therefore, all Townships and Municipalities are Minor Civil Divisions of the first order in New Jersey and, because of this, Townships are often referred to as "Municipalities" in lists of local governmental units, while Municipalities are often referred to as "Townships" (particularly in court records and other legal documents). To make matters even more confusing, the type of local governmental unit may not necessarily reflect the type of local government it actually has (e.g., there are Townships with "Town Government", etc.). To avoid any such confusion in this listing of the Democratic Delegate Districts re: the Minor Civil Divisions/local governmental units of New Jersey, no reference will be made to the type of Municipality/Township unless there are two or more such units in a given County with the same- or a similar- name:
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 1 (Legislative Districts # 1 and # 2):
- in ATLANTIC COUNTY: Absecon, Atlantic City, Brigantine, Buena, Buena Vista, Corbin, Egg Harbor Township, Estell Manor, Galloway, Hamilton, Linwood, Longport, Margate, Mullica, Northfield, Pleasantville, Port Republic, Somers Point, Ventnor and Weymouth;
- the entirety of CAPE MAY COUNTY;
- in CUMBERLAND COUNTY: Maurice River, Millville and Vineland.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 2 (Legislative Districts # 3 and # 4):
- in CAMDEN COUNTY: Gloucester Township, Laurel Springs and Lindenwold;
- in CUMBERLAND COUNTY: Bridgeton, Commercial, Deerfield, Downe, Fairfield, Greenwich, Hopewell, Lawrence, Shiloh, Stow Creek and Upper Deerfield;
- in GLOUCESTER COUNTY: Clayton, East Greenwich, Elk, Franklin, Glassboro, Greenwich, Harrison, Logan, Mantua, Monroe, National Park, Newfield, Paulsboro, Pitman, South Harrison, Swedesboro, Washington, Wenonah, West Deptford, Woodbury and Woolwich;
- the entirety of SALEM COUNTY.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 3 (Legislative Districts # 5 and # 6):
- in CAMDEN COUNTY: Audubon, Audubon Park, Barrington, Berlin Boro, Berlin Township, Bellmawr, Brooklawn, Camden, Cherry Hill, Clementon, Collingswood, Gibbsboro, Gloucester City, Haddon Township, Haddon Heights, Haddonfield, Hi-Nella, Lawnside, Magnolia, Merchantville, Mount Ephraim, Oaklyn, Pine Hill, Pine Valley, Runnemede, Somerdale, Stratford, Tavistock, Voorhees and Woodlynne;
- in GLOUCESTER COUNTY: Deptford, Westville and Woodbury Heights.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 4 (Legislative Districts # 7 and # 8):
- in ATLANTIC COUNTY: Folsom and Hammonton;
- in BURLINGTON COUNTY: Beverly, Burlington City, Burlington Township, Cinnaminson, Delanco, Delran, Edgewater Park, Evesham, Hainesport, Lumberton, Maple Shade, Medford, Medford Lakes, Moorestown, Mount Holly, Mount Laurel, Palmyra, Riverside, Riverton, Shamong, Southampton, Westampton and Willingboro;
- in CAMDEN COUNTY: Chesilhurst, Pennsauken, Waterford and Winslow.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 5 (Legislative Districts # 9 and # 30):
- in ATLANTIC COUNTY: Egg Harbor City;
- in BURLINGTON COUNTY: Bass River, Bordentown City, Bordentown Township, Chesterfield, Eastampton, Fieldsboro, Florence, Mansfield, New Hanover, North Hanover, Pemberton Boro, Pemberton Township, Springfield, Tabernacle, Washington, Woodland and Wrightstown;
- in MONMOUTH COUNTY: Allentown, Millstone, Roosevelt and Upper Freehold;
- in OCEAN COUNTY: Barnegat, Barnegat Light, Beach Haven, Beachwood, Berkeley, Eagleswood, Harvey Cedars, Island Heights, Jackson, Lacey, Lakehurst, Lakewood, Little Egg Harbor, Long Beach, Manchester, Ocean, Ocean Gate, Pine Beach, Plumsted, Seaside Heights, Seaside Park, Ship Bottom, South Toms River, Stafford, Surf City and Tuckerton.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 6 (Legislative Districts # 10 and # 11):
- in MONMOUTH COUNTY: Allenhurst, Asbury Park, Atlantic Highlands, Avon-by-the-Sea, Belmar, Bradley Beach, Brielle, Deal, Eatontown, Fair Haven, Highlands, Interlaken, Loch Arbour, Long Branch, Manasquan, Monmouth Beach, Neptune City, Neptune Township, Ocean, Oceanport, Rumson, Sea Bright, Sea Girt, South Belmar, Spring Lake, Spring Lake Heights, Wall and West Long Branch;
- in OCEAN COUNTY: Bay Head, Brick, Dover, Lavallette, Mantoloking, Point Pleasant and Point Pleasant Beach.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 7 (Legislative Districts # 12 and # 13):
- in MIDDLESEX COUNTY: Old Bridge and Spotswood;
- in MONMOUTH COUNTY: Aberdeen, Colts Neck, Englishtown, Farmingdale, Freehold Boro, Freehold Township, Hazlet, Holmdel, Howell, Keansburg, Keyport, Little Silver, Manalapan, Marlboro, Matawan, Middletown, Red Bank, Shrewsbury Boro, Shrewsbury Township, Tinton Falls and Union Beach.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 8 (Legislative Districts # 14 and # 15):
- in MERCER COUNTY: East Windsor, Ewing, Hamilton, Hightstown, Lawrence, Princeton Boro, Princeton Township, Trenton, Washington and West Windsor;
- in MIDDLESEX COUNTY: Cranbury, Helmetta, Jamesburg, Monroe, Plainsboro and South Brunswick.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 9 (Legislative Districts # 16 and # 23):
- in HUNTERDON COUNTY: Alexandria, Bethlehem, Bloomsbury, Clinton Town, Clinton Township, Delaware, East Amwell, Flemington, Franklin, Frenchtown, Holland, Kingwood, Lambertville, Lebanon, Milford, Raritan, Readington, Stockton, Union and West Amwell;
- in MERCER COUNTY: Hopewell Boro, Hopewell Township and Pennington;
- in MORRIS COUNTY: Mendham Boro;
- in SOMERSET COUNTY: Bedminster, Bernards Township, Bernardsville, Branchburg, Bridgewater, Far Hills, Franklin, Hillsborough, Manville, Millstone, Montgomery, Peapack-Gladstone, Raritan, Rocky Hill, Somerville and South Bound Brook;
- the entirety of WARREN COUNTY.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 10 (Legislative Districts # 17 and # 18):
- in MIDDLESEX COUNTY: East Brunswick, Edison, Highland Park, Metuchen, Middlesex, Milltown, New Brunswick, North Brunswick, Piscataway, South Plainfield and South River;
- in SOMERSET COUNTY: Bound Brook;
- in UNION COUNTY: Plainfield.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 11 (Legislative Districts # 19 and # 20):
- in MIDDLESEX COUNTY: Carteret, Perth Amboy, Sayreville, South Amboy and Woodbridge;
- in UNION COUNTY: Elizabeth, Linden, Rahway and Roselle.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 12 (Legislative Districts # 21 and # 22):
- in ESSEX COUNTY: Caldwell, Cedar Grove, Essex Fells, Livingston, Millburn, North Caldwell, Roseland and Verona;
- in MIDDLESEX COUNTY: Dunellen;
- in MORRIS COUNTY: Chatham Township and Long Hill;
- in SOMERSET COUNTY: Green Brook, North Plainfield, Warren and Watchung;
- in UNION COUNTY: Berkeley Heights, Clark, Cranford, Fanwood, Garwood, Kenilworth, Mountainside, New Providence, Roselle Park, Scotch Plains, Springfield, Summit, Union, Westfield and Winfield.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 13 (Legislative Districts # 24 and # 25):
- in HUNTERDON COUNTY: Califon, Glen Gardner, Hampton, High Bridge, Lebanon Township and Tewksbury;
- in MORRIS COUNTY: Boonton Town, Boonton Township, Chester Boro, Chester Township, Denville, Dover, Hanover, Harding, Jefferson, Mendham Township, Mine Hill, Morris Township, Morristown, Mount Arlington, Mount Olive, Netcong, Randolph, Rockaway Boro, Rockaway Township, Roxbury, Victory Gardens, Washington and Wharton;
- the entirety of SUSSEX COUNTY.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 14 (Legislative Districts # 26 and # 27):
- in ESSEX COUNTY: East Orange, Fairfield, Montclair, Orange, West Caldwell and West Orange plus portions of Newark;
- in MORRIS COUNTY: Butler, Chatham Boro, East Hanover, Florham Park, Kinnelon, Lincoln Park, Madison, Montville, Morris Plains, Mountain Lakes, Parsippany-Troy Hills, Pequannock and Riverdale;
- in PASSAIC COUNTY: Bloomingdale and Pompton Lakes.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 15 (Legislative Districts # 28 and # 29):
- in ESSEX COUNTY: Irvington, Maplewood and South Orange plus portions of Newark;
- in UNION COUNTY: Hillside.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 16 (Legislative Districts # 31 and # 33):
- in HUDSON COUNTY: Bayonne, Guttenberg, Hoboken, Union City, Weehawken and West New York plus portions of Jersey City.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 17 (Legislative Districts # 32 and # 36):
- in BERGEN COUNTY: Carlstadt, East Rutherford, Edgewater, Fairview, Lyndhurst, North Arlington, Rutherford and Wallington;
- in ESSEX COUNTY: Belleville and Nutley;
- in HUDSON COUNTY: East Newark, Harrison, Kearny, North Bergen, Secaucus plus portions of Jersey City;
- in PASSAIC COUNTY: Passaic.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 18 (Legislative Districts # 34 and # 35):
- in ESSEX COUNTY: Bloomfield and Glen Ridge;
- in PASSAIC COUNTY: Clifton, Haledon, Hawthorne, Little Falls, North Haledon, Paterson, Prospect Park, Totowa, Wayne and West Paterson.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 19 (Legislative Districts # 37 and # 38):
- in BERGEN COUNTY: Bergenfield, Bogota, Cliffside Park, Elmwood Park, Englewood, Fort Lee, Garfield, Hackensack, Hasbrouck Heights, Leonia, Little Ferry, Lodi, Maywood, Moonachie, Oradell, Palisades Park, Paramus, Ridgefield, Ridgefield Park, Rochelle Park, Saddle Brook, South Hackensack, Teaneck, Teterboro and Wood-Ridge.
DELEGATE DISTRICT # 20 (Legislative Districts # 39 and # 40):
- in BERGEN COUNTY: Allendale, Alpine, Closter, Cresskill, Demarest, Dumont, Emerson, Englewood Cliffs, Fair Lawn, Franklin Lakes, Glen Rock, Harrington Park, Haworth, Hillsdale, HoHoKus, Mahwah, Midland Park, Montvale, New Milford, Northvale, Northwood, Oakland, Old Tappan, Park Ridge, Ramsey, Ridgewood, River Edge, River Vale, Rockleigh, Saddle River, Tenafly, Upper Saddle River, Waldwick, Washington, Westwood, Woodcliff Lake and Wyckoff;
- in PASSAIC COUNTY: Ringwood, Wanaque and West Milford.