30 April 2000: Unpledged delegate preference update: Gore 13. Unpledged delegates appear in the "Soft Unpledged" field.
The Popular Vote above is based on official returns from the 4
April Primary. Votes cast for "Uninstructed Delegation"
are shown as "Uncommitted".
While the district vote is not yet available, Gore has probably won
most, if not all, of the 56 district delegates. Gore has won all 27
statewide (PLEO and At-Large) delegates.
4 April 2000: Unpledged delegate preference update: Gore 7, Bradley
0. Unpledged delegates appear in the "Soft Unpledged" field.
Here's how we compute the delegate count:
- A candidate must receive 15% or more of the total popular vote to qualify for delegates. Discard those votes cast for candidates who do not qualify.
- Allocate Congressional District delegates from the qualified vote in each district. Allocate Pledged PLEO and At-Large delegates using the statewide qualified vote. Bill Bradley, having withdrawn from the campaign, is not entitled to receive At-Large and PLEO delegates.
- In each jurisdiction:
- Total qualified vote = total votes cast for the qualifying candidates in the jurisdiction.
- Allocation = (delegates for the jurisdiction) × (candidate's popular vote) ÷ (total qualified vote).
- Assign each candidate the WHOLE NUMBER of delegates.
- If delegates remain, allocate each of the remaining delegates to those candidates with the LARGEST REMAINDERS.
Tuesday 4 April 2000: 77 of 92 delegates to the Democratic National
Convention are allocated to presidential contenders based on the results
of the voting in today's Wisconsin Presidential Primary.
- "50 district delegates are to be allocated proportionally to
presidential contenders based on the primary results in each of the
State's 9 congressional districts (each congressional district being
assigned 5 or 6 National Convention delegates). In addition, 17 at-large
National Convention delegates plus 10 Pledged PLEOs are to be allocated
to presidential contenders based on the primary vote statewide. A
mandatory 15 percent threshold is required in order for a presidential
contender to be allocated National Convention delegates at either the
congressional district or statewide level."
The remaining 15 National Convention delegates consist of 13 Unpledged
PLEOs and 2 Unpledged "add-on"s; these 15 delegates will go to the
Democratic National Convention officially "Unpledged".
The breakdown of unpledged delegates is:
- 6 Democratic National Committee members
- 7 Members of Congress (2 Senators, 5 Representatives)
- 2 add-ons
The number of district delegates per congressional district in Wisconsin are:
- CD # 1: 5 delegates
- CD # 2: 6 delegates
- CD # 3: 6 delegates
- CD # 4: 6 delegates
- CD # 5: 6 delegates
- CD # 6: 5 delegates
- CD # 7: 6 delegates
- CD # 8: 5 delegates
- CD # 9: 5 delegates
total: 50 district delegates among 9 congressional districts
Wisconsin has 72 counties and 9 congressional districts: 55 counties are wholly within a given congressional district and 17 counties are divided among more than one congressional district
UNDIVIDED COUNTIES (wholly within one Congressional District):
- CD # 1: Kenosha, Racine, Rock and Walworth
- CD # 2: Columbia, Dane, Iowa, Lafayette, Richland and Sauk
- CD # 3: Barron, Buffalo, Crawford, Dunn, Grant, Jackson, LaCrosse, Pepin, Pierce, St. Croix, Trempealeau and Vernon
- CD # 6: Adams, Green Lake, Juneau, Marquette, Waupaca, Waushara and Winnebago
- CD # 7: Ashland, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Lincoln, Marathon, Portage, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, Washburn and Wood
- CD # 8: Door, Florence, Forest, Kewaunee, Langlade, Marinette, Menominee, Oconto, Shawano and Vilas
- CD # 9: Ozaukee and Washington
DIVIDED COUNTIES (split between more than one Congressional District):
- Brown: CDs 6 and 8
- Calumet: CDs 6 and 8
- Chippewa: CDs 3 and 7
- Clark: CDs 3 and 7
- Dodge: CDs 2 and 9
- Eau Claire: CDs 3 and 7
- Fond du Lac: CDs 6 and 9
- Green: CDs 1 and 2
- Jefferson: CDs 1, 2 and 9
- Manitowoc: CDs 6 and 8
- Milwaukee: CDs 4 and 5
- Monroe: CDs 3 and 6
- Oneida: CDs 7 and 8
- Outagamie: CDs 6 and 8
- Polk: CDs 3 and 7
- Sheboygan: CDs 6 and 9
- Waukesha: CDs 1, 4 and 9
CD # 5 is wholly within Milwaukee County