The Popular Vote above is based on official returns from the 14
March Primary. This Presidential Primary coincides with a
state/local primary. These coinciding primaries tend to have an impact
upon voter turnout.
Here's how we estimate the delegate count:
- The candidate with the greatest popular vote in each of the 5 districts receives that district's 3 delegates.
- The candidate with the greatest statewide popular vote receives 18 delegates.
|Delegates|| ||33|| || ||33|| || ||0|
Tuesday 14 March 2000: All 33 of Mississippi's delegates to the
Republican National Convention are allocated to presidential contenders
in today's Mississippi Presidential Primary.
- "15 district delegates are to be allocated to presidential
contenders based on the primary results in each of the 5 congressional
districts: each congressional district is assigned 3 National
Convention delegates and the presidential contender receiving the
greatest number of votes in that district, notwithstanding that
candidate's percentage of the total primary vote in the district, will
receive all 3 of that district's National Convention delegates. In
addition, 18 at-large delegates (6 base at-large delegates plus 12
bonus delegates) are to be allocated to the presidential contender
receiving the greatest number of votes in the primary statewide,
notwithstanding that candidate's percentage of the total primary vote
statewide. This winning candidate will be said to have received the
'final net primary vote': note, however, that it will be possible- by
winning delegates at the 'winner-take-all' congressional district
level- for a presidential contender other than the one so receiving the
final net primary vote statewide to be allocated National Convention
delegates in the Mississippi Presidential Primary."
Mississippi has 82 counties and 5 congressional districts: 71 counties are wholly within a given congressional district; 11 counties are divided among more than one congressional district.
UNDIVIDED COUNTIES (those wholly within one Congressional District):
- CD # 1: Alcorn, Benton, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Choctaw, DeSoto, Itawamba, Lafayette, Lee, Marshall, Monroe, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Tate, Tippah, Tishomingo, Union, Webster and Yalobusha
- CD # 2: Bolivar, Carroll, Claiborne, Coahoma, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Jefferson, Leflore, Quitman, Sharkey, Sunflower, Tunica, Warren, Washington and Yazoo
- CD # 3: Clarke, Clay, Jasper, Kemper, Lauderdale, Lowndes, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Rankin, Scott, Smith and Winston
- CD # 4: Adams, Amite, Copiah, Covington, Franklin, Jefferson Davis, Lawrence, Lincoln, Marion, Pike, Simpson, Walthall and Wilkinson
- CD # 5: Forrest, George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Lamar, Pearl River, Perry and Stone
DIVIDED COUNTIES (split between more than one Congressional District):
- Attala: CDs 2 & 3
- Grenada: CDs 1 & 2
- Hinds: CDs 2 & 4
- Jones: CDs 3 & 4
- Leake: CDs 2 & 3
- Madison: CDs 2 & 3
- Montgomery: CDs 1 & 2
- Oktibbeha: CDs 1 & 3
- Panola: CDs 1 & 2
- Tallahatchie: CDs 1 & 2
- Wayne: CDs 3 & 5