19 March 2000: Unpledged delegate preference update: Gore 12, Bradley
0. Unpledged delegates appear in the "Soft Unpledged" field.
The Popular Vote above is based on official returns from the 14
Here's how we compute the delegate count:
- A candidate must receive 15% or more of the total popular vote to qualify for delegates. Discard those votes cast for candidates who do not qualify.
- Allocate Congressional District delegates from the qualified vote in each district. Allocate Pledged PLEO and At-Large delegates using the statewide qualified vote. Bill Bradley, having withdrawn from the campaign, is not entitled to receive At-Large and PLEO delegates.
- In each jurisdiction:
- Total qualified vote = total votes cast for the qualifying candidates in the jurisdiction.
- Allocation = (delegates for the jurisdiction) × (candidate's popular vote) ÷ (total qualified vote).
- Assign each candidate the WHOLE NUMBER of delegates.
- If delegates remain, allocate each of the remaining delegates to those candidates with the LARGEST REMAINDERS.
|CD1||10,515||3||10,515||100.000%||3||566|| || |
|CD2||17,617||5||17,617||100.000%||5||1,007|| || |
|CD3||26,623||5||26,623||100.000%||5||1,802|| || |
|CD4||26,663||4||26,663||100.000%||4||2,222|| || |
|CD5||25,793||6||25,793||100.000%||6||1,150|| || |
|CD6||31,152||5||31,152||100.000%||5||1,833|| || |
|CD7||20,490||4||20,490||100.000%||4||1,068|| || |
|CD8||18,906||5||18,906||100.000%||5||936|| || |
|CD9||15,756||7||15,756||100.000%||7||493|| || |
|PLEO||193,515||9||193,515||100.000%||9||11,077|| || |
|At-Large||193,515||15||193,515||100.000%||15||11,077|| || |
|Delegates|| ||68|| || ||68|| || ||0|
Gore is the only candidate to receive 15% or more of the popular vote and thus receives all the delegates.
Tuesday 14 March 2000: 68 of 81 delegates to the Democratic National
Convention are allocated to presidential contenders based on the
results of the voting in today's Tennessee Presidential Primary.
- "44 district delegates are to be allocated proportionally to
presidential contenders based on the primary results in each of the
State's 9 congressional districts. In addition, 15 at-large National
Convention delegates plus 9 Pledged PLEOs are
to be allocated to presidential contenders based on the primary vote
statewide. A mandatory 15 percent threshold is required in order for a
presidential contender to be allocated National Convention delegates at
either the congressional district or statewide level."
The remaining 13 National Convention delegates consist of 12
Unpledged PLEOs and 1 Unpledged "add-on";
these 13 delegates will go to the Democratic National Convention
The breakdown of unpledged delegates is:
- 7 Democratic National Committee members
- 4 Members of Congress (Representatives)
- 1 Distinguished Party Leader (Vice President Al Gore)
- 1 add-on
Tennessee will send 44 district delegates to the Democratic National
Convention apportioned among its 9 Congressional Districts as
- CD # 1: 3 delegates
- CD # 2: 5 delegates
- CD # 3: 5 delegates
- CD # 4: 4 delegates
- CD # 5: 6 delegates
- CD # 6: 5 delegates
- CD # 7: 4 delegates
- CD # 8: 5 delegates
- CD # 9: 7 delegates
Tennessee has 95 counties and 9 congressional districts: 90 counties are wholly within a given congressional district; 5 counties are divided among more than one congressional district.
UNDIVIDED COUNTIES (wholly within one Congressional District):
- CD # 1: Carter, Cocke, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington
- CD # 2: Blount, Loudon, McMinn and Monroe
- CD # 3: Anderson, Bledsoe, Grundy, Hamilton, Marion, Meigs, Morgan, Polk, Roane, Sequatchie and Van Buren
- CD # 4: Bedford, Campbell, Claiborne, Coffee, Cumberland, Fentress, Franklin, Giles, Grainger, Hamblen, Hardin, Lawrence, Lincoln, Moore, Pickett, Rhea, Scott, Union, Warren, Wayne and White
- CD # 6: Cannon, Clay, DeKalb, Jackson, Macon, Marshall, Overton, Putnam, Rutherford, Smith, Sumner, Trousdale, Williamson and Wilson
- CD # 7: Cheatham, Chester, Decatur, Dickson, Fayette, Hardeman, Henderson, Hickman, Lewis, McNairy, Maury, Montgomery and Perry
- CD # 8: Benton, Carroll, Crockett, Dyer, Gibson, Haywood, Henry, Houston, Humphreys, Lake, Lauderdale, Madison, Obion, Stewart, Tipton and Weakley
DIVIDED COUNTIES (split between more than one Congressional District):
- Bradley: CDs 2 & 3
- Davidson (coterminous with the City of Nashville): CDs 5 & 6
- Knox: CDs 1, 2 & 4
- Robertson: CDs 5 & 7
- Shelby: CDs 7, 8 & 9
CD # 9 is wholly within Shelby County